It’s almost April, and I have successfully completed my (adjusted) March goal of building a viable workout routine!
This is what it looks like:
- start with a 5-10 minute warmup consisting of:
- 1-2 minutes of light cardio (jumping jacks and/or jogging in place)
- 5-7 minutes of head-to-toe kinetic stretching
- 1-2 minutes of static stretching
- choose one exercise from three of the following categories, and perform 2-3 sets of 8-10 reps of each
- glutes & hamstrings
- stretch ALL the things
It’s probably glaringly obvious that I’m no fitness expert, but I’m proud of myself and looking forward to reimagining this routine as I get stronger and more flexible.
I have a lot on my plate in April. I’m starting a new job. I’m continuing my volunteer work. I’m taking circus classes twice a week. My sister may be visiting, and if she does, my parents will probably visit then, too. Taking all of this into consideration, I’m going to aim to supplement my circus classes with once-weekly at-home bodyweight workouts, and put a lot of energy into figuring out sleep.
One of the things that excites me most about my new job is the fact that I will finally have a set schedule.
My previous job was shift work, which meant I could start work anywhere between 8am and noon, and end work anywhere between 5pm and 9pm. I was lucky enough to know my schedule as far as three weeks in advance (a lot of people working in retail don’t have that luxury), but it wasn’t unheard of to be scheduled for 6 or more days in a row and “clopening” shifts (working the earliest possible shift after having worked the latest possible shift) were not an infrequent occurrence.
As you can probably imagine, shift work makes it really difficult to wake up at the same time every morning, or go to bed at the same time each night, and I’m really excited for the opportunity to do both of those things.
Taking all of the above into consideration, here is my April plan:
- one at-home bodyweight workout each week
- wake up at 6am each morning (weekends included)
- be in bed by 10:30 each evening